Building a 1pb volume

Jens Neu jens at zeeroos.de
Wed Jan 9 15:27:30 UTC 2013

Hi there,
some thoughts on that:

On 09.01.2013 17:09, aragonx at dcsnow.com wrote:

> Data loss
this is a matter of backup strategy, you mean availability here?
> Cost
> Speed

> I am currently considering some less expensive storage arrays using
> 4TB SAS disks in 5+1 RAID 5 configurations (each array would be
> responsible for 10 such volumes).

afaik the biggest SAS disks are 900GB, you mean NL-SAS? Even with the
4TB disks (which I would not recommend since they are ridiculously
overpriced compared to 3GB) in RAID + Hotspare we're talking ~300 Disks
here. How do you plan to house, connect, power and monitor them?

> Now I would like a 3rd level of protection and I thought about using
> GlusterFS. If I read it right, it would duplicate the data in a way
> so
> that it doesn't reside in a single place.

so you want a redundant storage system? Over what link would you plan
to sync the two storages?
This sound all very ambitious to me. Maybe you should consider buying
an entry-level or even mid-range storage system like IBM DS3512 or
similar...

> Thanks!
regards
Jens