OT?: GNU Public License for files

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Wed Jan 9 15:38:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 16:22:18 +0100 Marcel Hellwig <keks at cookiesoft.de>
wrote:

> Am 09.01.2013 16:16, schrieb Ranjan Maitra:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Slightly OT, but perhaps not totally unrelated, how does one release
> > some pictures (jpg files) for the GNU Public License v3? I went to
> > wikimedia and noticed that there is no slot for this, only Creative
> > Commons. On the other hand, there are JPGs there that are released
> > under the GPL, so I was wondering about how to go about that.
> >
> > As an aside, is the GPL the better license for pictures and images, or
> > is the CC license better?
> >
> > Many thanks and best wishes,
> > Ranjan
> >
> GPL is not made for images, but for source code. If you want to share
> medias like music, pictures, movies, slideshows you better use CCL.
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/243196/what-is-the-difference-between-creative-commons-and-gpl-licensing
>
> Regards
> Marcel

Thanks for this information: it makes sense! How does one go about
getting this CCL license? On Wikimedia, it appears that one just
declares the license, but what if I am not posting on wikimedia? Does
one just claim it in the file?

Many thanks again!
Ranjan

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional