Install FC18 on laptop? Wifi woes

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Fri Jan 18 18:44:17 UTC 2013

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 12:56:08 -0500 Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
wrote:

> Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > Are you able to follow these instructions?
> >
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-January/428974.html
> >
> > I wondered if the problem is that the RPMfusion broadcom-wl is not up
> > to date.
> >
> I believe that the opposite is true, the kernel in the Live-CD is so old that
> the matching drivers are no longer readily found on rpmfusion. The current
> packages match a kernel newer than the one on the Live-CD or install DVD.

The broadcom-wl is numbered:

5.100.82.112

which appears to be earlier (?) than the number:

5.100.138 in the supplied link.

That is why I was thinking that the broadcom-wl is not upto date.

> Thanks for the link, unfortunately installing thing not in the distro requires
> downloading the packages. It's Catch-22, if I had network connectivity I could
> download the things I need to get network connectivity. But then I wouldn't need
> to...

Yes, I was able to use a wired connection to get these: it is pretty
straightforward from then on (at least, was, for me).

> I can download to external media, but that gets ugly, complex, and vastly
> time-consuming. Install a package, find out what else it needs, repeat indefinitely.

I understand the frustration. What did you do previously to get WiFi
working on F? Broadcom support has never been included in F from what I
understand.

Best wishes,
Ranjan