Installer inadequacies

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jan 19 22:25:29 UTC 2013

Am 19.01.2013 23:11, schrieb James Freer:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> so the question remains why you stay on a from SECURITY
>> POINT OF VIEW unacceptable F14 instead install CentOS 6.3
>> which get security updates because what you are saying is
>> in short "fedora is not for me" so do not use it!
>>
>> it is also not a problem install F17 and upgrade it
>> done on 4 physical and 5 virtual setups this week
>
> I installed F17 before xmas not realising that F18 hadn't been
> released. I thought F17 was good and have just been considering
> switching to Fedora as my distro.... now i'm beginning to wonder. It
> seems to me that both the 6 month release distros are keen to put out
> a release despite problems they may have encountered in development.
> Seems to me that the best release cycle is an annual one... six months
> is just not long enough to do all the development.

that is true

especially because feature are always BLINDLY approved because
someone states he will be able to do the development work in
the timeline and this is mostly not true, if FESCO would do
their job only features would be approved which are READY
and need only finetuning and integration

BUT nobody forces you to upgrade at the release day, really nobody,
you can always wait 6 months before upgrade your setup and after
six months most of the bad mistakes are fixed

i am doing this since many years, have a lot of servers running
on Fedora which are all upgraded from F9 in 2008 and never saw
anaconda since 2008 nor preupgrade which is also anaconda crap

the only reason why i have upgraded to F18 so soon is that
i held back PHP 5.4 and rebuilt 5.3 for the whole F17-cycle
and F18 contains Apache 2.4 and Samba 4.0 and i have to do
our own integration work in the next months

BUT using F14 because whatever reason is dumb and shows that
someone is using the wrong operating system for his needs