Installer inadequacies

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 18:44:21 UTC 2013

On 01/21/2013 01:31 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 21.01.2013 19:13, schrieb Tim:
>> ...complete snippage of what indicates why he gets moderated...
> oh and your "Put your tin hat on, your fingers in your ears, and
> start chanting la la la la la, now" was fine?
>
>> Yes, I may be lucky in that my software can use another identifier to
>> connect to the same access point as last time.  But that's just luck.
>> My software may not manage it, simply because of the way it was
>> programmed.  Or the same access point mightn't be around, or active at
>> the moment my computer is trying to connect.
> which OTHER identifier?
>
> you ENTER the SSID to connect
> and that is exactly what anaconda is missing
>
>> SSID is mean as an identifier, a name, for the access point(s), and
>> that's all it's for.  It's not a secret.  It's not part of security.
>> Telling people which network is which (via SSID, or other methods) is
>> not part of security.  This is a cold hard fact, and no false beliefs to
>> the contrary can change that.
> blablablabla

Since we're already "off topic" so much so that we're discussing other
things entirely....can I ask a question, and bear in mind I'm asking
only for edification and NO other reason!:
I am currently running Fedora 17 on my laptop. I'm the only one who uses
it, and can access it, but I worry sometimes about someone trying to
hack into it when I access the internet...is there some security
measures I can take that might prevent this? I don't have a clue as to
how to configure iptables...or how to even configure the firewall....I
HAVE a firewall on here...(it shows up in my Applications list!) but
what do I do to ensure my PC's safety?....I've gone ahead and installed
ClamAV...and that works fine...I run it every Friday...and to
date...it's NEVER found "threats"...but I'm just wondering what I could
do to "harden" my security...(not to mention it will come in handy as
hands-on experience when I get my RHCSA cert....which I'm attempting to
get!) any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated!

EGO II