Installer inadequacies

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jan 21 18:50:10 UTC 2013

Am 21.01.2013 19:44, schrieb Eddie G. O'Connor Jr.:
> I am currently running Fedora 17 on my laptop. I'm the only one who uses it, and can access it, but I worry
> sometimes about someone trying to hack into it when I access the internet...is there some security measures I can
> take that might prevent this? I don't have a clue as to how to configure iptables...or how to even configure the
> firewall....I HAVE a firewall on here...

than you should read manpages and at least take a look at
iptables --list --numeric --verbose

> (it shows up in my Applications list!) but what do I do to ensure my PC's
> safety?....

use a portscanner like nmap to test for open ports and close them if not needed
it happens really fast that whatever app starts listening on a prt and for ports
> 1024 this does not need admin permissions

I've gone ahead and installed ClamAV...and that works fine...I run it every Friday...and to date...it's
> NEVER found "threats"...but I'm just wondering what I could do to "harden" my security...(not to mention it will
> come in handy as hands-on experience when I get my RHCSA cert....which I'm attempting to get!) any pointers or tips
> would be greatly appreciated!

* nmap
* nessus

google for "intrusion detection"