humble suggestion to Fedora developers

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Wed Jan 23 15:11:36 UTC 2013

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:51:10 -0600 Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 08:41:31 -0600,
>    Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
> >
> >Therefore, I would like to suggest that Fedora put this current
> >installer (F18) in abeyance and re-roll the release using the old
> >installer while the new one is fixed for F19 (after responding to the
> >feedback generated thus far). I am not sure how an update to the
> >installer in F18 will help since an install is needed for an update and
> >once updated, there is no need for the installer. The main benefit to
> >Fedora for such an approach will be that all the other features
> >introduced in F18 can be tried and evaluated.
>
> The old installer won't work in F18. Anaconda is tightly coupled to several
> other packages which changed for f18. To accomodate this the old anaconda
> would have needed a number of changes to get it to work with f18. That is
> a significant factor in why we didn't fall back to using the old anaconda
> for f18. Given the limited anaconda developer resources are needed to work
> on improving the new installer, it is very unlikely anyone will update
> the installer used for f17 to get it to work for f18.

I see.

> You should be able to use a yum update to go from f17 to f18 without too
> much trouble.
>
> There could easily be fedup improvements which would get brought back to
> f17. You should be sure the problems you were having with it are logged
> in bugzilla.

I had some problems with this too: I do have a working system but that
which can not do a bit of stuff.

See

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-January/429357.html

See

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-January/429357.html

Both of which generated into discussion not particularly relevant to
solving my problems.

Trouble with using fedup and fedora-upgrade, is, as I said, there is no
guaranteed fall-back option of installing, if these fail.

Ranjan