FC18 - host name not set from DHCP?

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Fri Jan 25 19:53:38 UTC 2013

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 25.01.2013 19:50, schrieb Bill Davidsen:
>>> When I boot my test machine, it goes to DHCP and gets a name and IP. The IP is correctly assigned, but the name is
>>> still localhost.localdomain. Now I could change that in hostname, but that means I have to do the job of dhcp by
>>> hand, and that's not the way it should work.
>>>
>>> 1 - has anyone else seen this issue?
>>> 2 - is it a bug?
>>> 3 - if not a bug, how do I fix it.
>>>
>>> Note: this works in my fc16 and fc17 machines on the same network. It worked fine on this machine under fc17, so
>>> I'm fairly sure the server and config are what worked
>>
>> i guess that has something to do with systemd or Networkmanager
>> only a hint where to search - no dynamic IPs in my life :-)
>>
> Yes, not only dynamic IPs, but dynamic names as well, there's the rub. When I redeploy hardware it will get a new name. Well, it used to get a new name, something odd here, that localhost name just doen's want to go away.
>
> I'll find it, hoping someone would beat me to it.

This (assign dynamic hostname) was working since long ago, I was using
it for years in k12ltsp project and then for some time in following-up
Fedora's k12linux project. But from F15 is this project dead, IMO
because systemd isn't able work at diskless environment (root fs
cannot be on NFS/NBD filesystem etc).

Linux (Fedora) of this days isn't able do what before, but bugs is now
quite plenty. However, sometimes and for some people, it booted in a few
seconds more quickly.