FC18 - host name not set from DHCP?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jan 25 23:30:18 UTC 2013

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:26:24 -0500
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Well, it used to get a new name,
>> something odd here, that localhost name just doen's want to go away.
>
> A fact which may or may not have anything to do with it:
>
> The local hostname info used to be stashed in /etc/sysconfig/network
> and now is in a separate file /etc/hostname.
>
> Perhaps whatever DHCP magic accepts a new hostname wasn't taught
> about the change?

The fault is mine, I wasn't aware that the name had moved, deleting the
/etc/hostname file restored functionality as it should be. I actually found that
with 'find' by getting a list of files in /etc which contained localhost, and
working backward. This is actually vastly better (if not quite as obvious as it
might be), I can force a name and use whatever IP I get, or get the name
properly based on maintaining a single database on the dhcp server.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>