humble suggestion to Fedora developers

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 20:25:23 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 03:29 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 07:59:21PM +0000, James Freer wrote:
>> I have the greatest respect for the developer's that put in
>> considerable effort for each release. The problem with 6 month release
>> cycle is too little time. I've used linux now for almost 6 years with
> Having some experience with timing development cycles in agile/scrum, the
> problem with a longer release cycle is that the amount of work bitten off
> grows to match, and you end up with the same scramble on a bigger scale,
> actually making the problem worse rather than better.
>
> I think we should keep on a six-month release cycle but also have "epic"
> planning for features across cycles. There was a suggestion at Fudcon to
> move to using point releases, each point with a six-month cycle but with a
> bigger two-year cycle wrapping a series of releases together.

"Epic" as in the shock and awe at the evolution of Gnome 3.x? (Mind
you...I LOVE Gnome 3.*! I'm in the process of trying to get it for my
Ubuntu box at home!) But I notice that a LOT of people who were used to
Gnome 2.x didn't really take too well to the 3.x version, I wonder if
there is something to be said for including more options when it comes
to DE's? I like how F18 allows you not only the "mainstream" heavy
hitters (XFCE....LXDE....KDE...and of course Gnome!) But that they also
allow the inclusion of MATE and Cinnamon...(my brother's favorite!) I
think as long as there's an gradual introduction of the features and
other aspects of a distro, while still allowing things to be done "the
old fashioned way" for those who are resistant to change...then there
shouldn't be any reason for a rejection of the offerings made by the
developers...who in all actuality do what they do as a labor of love and
are not "obligated" to cater to the whims of the general population.

EGO II