Optimization Start Up of Fedora

Jorge Martínez López jorgeml at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 10:30:11 UTC 2013

Hi!

2013/1/27 carachi diego <carachi83 at gmail.com>

> But if I compile the kernel without all unnecessary drivers and packet,
> Can I obtain more performance than only disable some service?

The Fedora kernel (and actually any other distribution) has most of its
kernel options compiled as modules (not drivers). Why? Because it is
impossible for Fedora devs to know beforehand the hardware the computer
will run and people like to get their hardware up and running as soon as
they plug it in.

In any case, the kernel does not load modules on memory until they are
needed. So the only thing you are wasting is hard disk space (and not
really much). So you could save a few MB of hard drive by compiling your
own kernel and removing modules you are not going to use (floppy disks?)
but 1) you will spend a lot of time and 2) you may break something.

So my advice is: leave the kernel as is and take a look at unnecessary
services at boot.

Greetings,
--
Jorge Martínez López <jorgeml at gmail.com> http://www.jorgeml.net