iptables bug? (Was RE: F18: post-friday updates + ssh ports + iptables)

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Tue Jan 29 02:23:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 03:01:30 +0100 Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu
+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 03:47:50PM -0800, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > OK, I believe this is a bug (or a feature I can not fathom)....
> >
> > I reboot the machine, and lose access to the ssh port. Restarting iptables fixes the problem. This is problematic because the machine can not be rebooted remotely to obtain access remotely.
> >
> > Is this a bug, or a new feature? What should this be filed against?
> >
> > This only started after last Friday's updates.
> >

> What were in those updates?  If isolating it and rollingback resolves
> your problem then you have your answer and can file a bug report.
>
> GL,
>
> PS: From what I see in my updated packages on Friday, there is nothing
>     that even remotely relates to ssh or iptables.
>
>     dracut-024-18.git20130102.fc18.x86_64
>     googlecl-0.9.13-3.fc18.noarch
>     mdadm-3.2.6-7.fc18.x86_64
>     parted-3.1-9.fc18.x86_64
>     rubygem-multi_xml-0.4.1-4.fc18.noarch
>     xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-1:1.0.3-1.fc18.x86_64

I am not sure how to figure out what were in those updates. Is there a
way? I am not even sure that this is an iptables issue, only that
restarting it appears to be resolving the problem (namely that ssh is
set to access through the standard port, which is disabled in favor of
the non-standard port in the ssd_config).

I do see that the iptables package has not been updated at all since
F18 was released. Neither has ssh, and both of them worked at least
till Friday mid-morning, but not after Friday afternoon.

One point to note is that I did update through yum (and have not been
able to resolve my sound for this i386 machine yet). However, this
iptables + ssh did work from Thursday afternoon for about 24 hours, as
usual.

Perhaps something else messed it up, and will need to be fixed.

Thanks again for any help!

Best wishes,
Ranjan

Ranjan

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional