former windows 7 boot manager still showing

Kevin Martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:44:28 UTC 2013

On 01/30/13 12:11, Raf Roger wrote:
> i tried it and still have the windows boot manager when my HDD boot :( instead of having "system not found" (which is the typicall
> message when boot sector is not found in windows)
>
> any other idea than "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1" ? i also tried with bs=512, but still not successfull :(
>

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Raf Roger <raf.news at gmail.com <mailto:raf.news at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Patrick,
>
>     in fact i can delete everything on this HDD as i formatted it...backup was done before :)
>     i just found also something similar.
>
>     |dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1|
>
>     where /dev/sda should be replaced by my HDD value.
>

>     On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Patrick Lists <fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl <mailto:fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl>> wrote:
>
>         On 01/30/2013 06:13 PM, Raf Roger wrote:
>
>             Hi,
>
>             i formatted my HDD where before i had windows 7 installed, in order to
>             install new fedora 18.
>             however after fedora installation, HDD does not boot on grub but still
>             on former windows boot manager.
>
>             How ca i do to REALLY remove this stupid windows 7 boot manager ?
>             thx
>

>         http://www.linuxquestions.org/__questions/linux-newbie-8/__using-dd-to-zero-the-mbr-__query-606489/
>         <http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/using-dd-to-zero-the-mbr-query-606489/>
>
>         Make sure you don't delete data you do not want to lose. You do have a backup of your important data right?
>
>         Regards,
>         Patrick
>

> <snip>

Raf,

Please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread.

Next, do you happen to have a 2nd hard drive in the machine you are trying to boot (perhaps that has the Windows boot loader on
it?)?  How big is the drive you are trying to dd?  Try any one of these to get to a non-bootable drive:

To wipe just the MBR:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo bs=512 count=1

To wipe all of track zero:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo bs=512 count=63

"Zero out" the entire drive:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo

You'll need to replace foo with the appropriate device (hda, sda, etc).

Kevin