Disabling SlowKeys?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Jan 30 21:29:10 UTC 2013

On 01/30/2013 12:31 PM, Tethys wrote:
> I, along with many others, have a frequent annoyance where SlowKeys
> gets enabled in the X server. Yes, I can work around it by holding
> down a shift key to turn it off again. But is there any way I can
> permanently disable it? Some way of configuring the X server such that
> it never enables SlowKeys? I'm getting *really* fed up with it, and no
> one seems to know what's turning it on. It's certainly *not* being
> enabled by me holding down shift. And the bug report implies that the
> X server itself isn't capable of turning it on. So it must be an
> application that's doing it. However, I'm not running anything that I
> wasn't running in previous Fedora releases, but I never had this
> problem until F17 :-(

It may help to find out what program is slowing the keys down.  If you
know that, you may be able to disable it, or configure it not to
activate without user input.

You might try this: open a terminal and run this command:

ps aux > fast.txt

Leave the terminal open and go back to work.  When SlowKeys manifests,
in slow.txt before de-activating the slow keys.  Then you can run diff
on the two files to see what's changed, because one of the new programs
is probably the one you want to look at.  HTH, HAND.