OT: what's with the 'i'?

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 16:34:24 UTC 2013

2013/1/31, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>:
> Way way OT:
>
> Just out of interest, why do some people use the non-existent word "i",
> not to mention other violations of capitalization rules when 1) their
> Shift key is clearly not broken, and 2) they aren't the poet e.e.
> cummings? I've seen a number of people do this (admittedly a tiny
> minority) and never understood it. Do they think it's cool? Are they
> expressing their inner rebel? Were they punished by their English
> teacher at school? Is hitting Shift too much effort? Enquiring minds
> want to know.

I'd think it's the coolness thing. But highly intelligent people do it
occasionally, so I have no clue either. One such person I know of was
Erik Naggum, though I can't find an example here
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Erik_Naggum. But Usenet is full of them.
A funny one:

"you have been evaluated.  you have a negative reference count.  prepare
to be garbage collected.  persistence is futile."

http://www.xach.com/naggum/articles/3150641
439642768 at naggum.no.html

Andras