Mailing List Etiquette (was Re: can't run sshd on 23456 in Fedora 19)

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 15:04:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> Am 09.07.2013 14:15, schrieb Jared K. Smith:
>> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     it does not matter because on this list you are even moderated
>>     and banned because off-list mails which are even not contain
>>     any reference to a thread bounce dback by the receiver to the
>>     list and additionally in CC to the uninvolved devel-list
>>

>> As one of the list moderators, let me state for the public record that the moderation was not just for one off-list
>> email, it was for a continuing pattern of disrespect.  The Community Working Group has also explained how you can
>> get the moderation flag removed from your account.
>
> hopefully you are fair enough to let me state my point of view also
> for the public record

The problem here from my perspective is that Harald was put into an
awkward position without any reason that I can see on the thread
cited. It is natural to want to defend yourself when you feel you are
being attacked and I would really like to see the previously offended
parts of the community work with all of us to try to leave the past in
the past and not go out of our way to read something negative into
every post Harald makes.

As someone who reads most of discussions on this and many other lists
I largely share Harald's feeling that a relatively small number of
transgressions have clouded our perception of reality and we forget a
great many helpful posts.

I'd love to see the chiding for past posts stop but I doubt they ever
will as long as they lead to threads like this. The only thing that
will stop them is for everyone to ignore them and go on with their
day.

John