Scanner recommendations needed

Philippe LeCavalier support at plecavalier.com
Wed Jul 10 11:57:03 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 7:48 AM, <linuxnutster at videotron.ca> wrote:

> On 07/10/2013 07:30 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 06:52:29 -0400
>> linuxnutster at videotron.ca wrote:
>>
>>  Would there be a particular line of scanners which function flawlessly
>>> in linux, or am I expecting too much?
>>>

>> Not exactly the best solution, but I have a Epson Artisan all-in-one
>> device with a network connection, so when I want to use the scanner,
>> I crank up a Windows virtual machine and scan from there over the network,
>> saving the files on a samba mount that is served by the host.
>>
>> The hplip package (which you can get from the fedora repos) has
>> support for most HP all-in-one devices, but essentially no stand
>> alone scanners.
>>
>>   It sees this particular stand-alone just fine, but it simply doesn't
> work fine. The scanner interface will either lock up or simply crash. In
> order to get it to start scanning again I have to either reboot or kill the
> scanlite process...
>
> Never used scanlite. I always either scanned directly from GIMP or via
CLI(if I remember correctly). Based on experience I doubt your issues are
hardware related on the computer side(doesn't mean they're not but I'd say
unlikely). Most scanners are made pretty cheap. That said, have you tried a
different USB cable? ppl tend to overlook that part of the equation...

Have you tried Xsane? Looks to me like that's the more "mainstream" app for
what you're trying to do.

Phil