Disabling ipv6

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 11 11:56:30 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-07-10 at 20:30 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> It seems IPv6 sites are rather rare.
> I tried about a dozen sites in Ireland,
> including most universities,
> but only two came up positive: my own maths.tcd.ie
> and heanet.ie , which sort of runs the internet in Ireland.

Spare IPv4 addresses ran out a while ago.  Since user ability to simply
use IPv6 without knowing anything special is heavily limited by users
have equipment that doesn't support it, OSs that don't fully implement
it, or don't all implement it in the same way, take up will be slow.
Requiring many users to have to do something, that they don't
understand, to enable IPv6, or buy new equipment.

Many ISPs will, also, have to buy new equipment.  For some of them, at
great expense.  They're not going to do that unless they have to.  Some
have been avoiding it just because the technicalities of it are a new
nightmare that they don't want to have to deal with (new security
issues, new network configuring, new customer support issues).

The interim solution has been to grab back already allocated, but
currently un-used, IPv4 addresses.  This solution will be short-lived,
but I haven't seen an predictions for when it'll run out of available
IPv4 addresses.

If manufacturers and software programmers don't pull their fingers out,
we'll be faced with even more ISPs subjecting their clients to NAT.

> It seems the first test is very simple,
> seeing if there is an AAAA DNS record.
> Then there is a second test which I did not understand.
> But no site that failed the AAAA test came good in the second.

If there is no IPv6 IP address for something, then there can be no IPv6
type of connection to it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686