Proposal: Fedora should install with IPv6 disabled by default [was: Re: Disabling ipv6]

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Sat Jul 13 03:25:37 UTC 2013

Hi,
>> Unfortunately those module options are currently not being honored (bug
>> already opened).
> What is written in the 'ipv6.txt' certainly works.
Have you tried?

Because there are other people on the list claiming it isn't working.

>> About binaries requiring ipv6, that's like expecting a package that
>> needs a database to create the database as part of its install. Most
>> ones I tried won't -- they will depend on the database client package,
>> but will need the user/sysadmin to setup the database before starting
>> the software included on the package. IPv6 disabled would be just like
>> that: whoever installs something that requires IPv6 enabled would simply
>> have to enable it.
> The whole thing about the choice of version isn't simple at all.
Choosing between IPv4 and IPv6 is not like choosing PostgreSQL 8 or 9.
It's like choosing MySQL or PostgreSQL. Different software, that require
different configuration before any app can use them. I was making the
analogy that a PostgreSQL app may install ok from RPM but require the
sysadmin to configure the database (creating users, schema, importing
initial data). So requiring a sysadmin to setup IPv6 (like enabling it
for a network card) would be similar. Disabling IPv6 by default would
not make it harder IMHO to install binaries that require IPv6.

>> Defaults should suit most users. Not a minority that requires IPv6
>> enabled and how how to manage it.
> Are you a representative of the majority of users? :)
Of course not.  :-)  I can only talk about the ones I know and see if my
sample is similar to others on the list.

> BTW, I recommend this issue to present to 'fedora-devel', otherwise
> people will take all of this as a good joke. :)

If people on the users list don't agree with me, there's no point
submiting to developers.

[]s, Fernando Lozano