encrypting disks

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Sun Jul 14 21:22:30 UTC 2013

I'll second the plug for cryptkeeper.  I've done it both ways -- encrypting a partition and using cryptkeeper.  Both have been pretty transparent.  I have had no problem using ssh or hibernating with either, but I like the selectivity of cryptkeeper.

I have read, but do not perceive personally, that encrypted disks are a bit slower.  But really, the reason that I don't encrypt entire disks is a fear of what happens if either I forget my password or there's a corruption issue.  With an encrypted folder, then I lose that particular data.  If I encrypt the entire disk, then either my entire home directory or my entire system is hosed -- depending on the partitioning.

99% of what I have on my computer I don't give a rat's ass about someone else seeing if I misplace my laptop.  The few things that I do want protected by encryption -- work files, case data, etc.  I can put in a folder and encrypt with cryptkeeper.  If that gets fouled up, I still have my box...

billo