USB Lan Adapter

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Jul 16 00:52:12 UTC 2013

On 07/15/2013 05:39 PM, Ranjan Maitra issued this missive:
> Hello,
>
> My Dell XPS 13 is one of those without an ethernet outlet (for want of
> a better term). So I purchased a Keydex UG-ND1118-SV USB Lan Adapter and
> hooked it on, but it does not appear to be recognized (F19). Looking at
> the packaging, it looks like there is a driver download site at
> download.keydex.com.tw/drivers. I can try that, but I was wondering if
> there are open-source alternatives available (perhaps from RPMfusion,
> etc).
>
> Not sure what additional information to provide here, but if some more
> is needed, let me know.
>
> The product in question is available on Amazon and is this:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/KEYDEX-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-Memory/dp/B007VG5OYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373935036&sr=8-1&keywords=keydex+USB+lan+adapter

First, use "sudo lsusb" and make sure it's seen by the system at all.
I've just gone through four USB<-->SATA units that were all broken.
The quality of some of this offshore stuff isn't very good.

If it is seen, then extract the manufacturer and product IDs for the
unit and google them. For example, in the lsusb output line below:

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser

the "046d:c517" is the manufacturer (046d) and product ID (c517), so
I'd google "046d:c517" and see if there's a driver for it.