emulate mouse middle-button on Dell XPS 13?

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Fri Jul 19 06:39:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 16:54:16 -0700 Gordon Messmer
<gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/17/2013 05:56 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to emulate a middle-button on the
> > touchpad-integrated mouse (my terminology) on this machine? I have
> > tried hitting the two mouse-clicks (want of a better term) at the same
> > time to no avail. Any other possibilities?
>
> http://who-t.blogspot.com/2011/04/gnome-30-middle-mouse-button-emulation.html

Thanks! I get the following:
!
$sudo gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.mouse
middle-button-enabled true No such schema
'org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.mouse'

I am using the LXDE spin.

I am not a very big mouse user. However, I have trouble when I cut
something and paste using the middle button (which is when I need it)
because in applications like firefox or sylpheed, the Shift-insert to
replace the paste operation does not work.

Can I get the Shift-insert button to replace the paste operation of the
mouse (or the second button)? I would be fine with that then (in fact
more preferable for me).

> Sadly, I'm actually about to sell the XPS 13 that I've got.  Xorg
> appears to have a bug in handling Fn+arrow for Pg up/down, which causes
> it to key-repeat pg up/down until interrupted.

Interesting. I don't have a problem with this: though this is kind of
irritating to me where it is placed. (I have previously been used to
PgUp and PgDn having its own keys).

The trackpad is just
> awful.  Click is frequently interpreted as right-click and middle-click
> emulation is extremely unreliable.

Not yet for me, but this laptop is four days old for me. Click for me
is intrepreted as left-click only. Would be nice if the trackpad
interpreted right and left click as depending on which half you were
in.

Are you using F19, completely updated?

The mouse cursor also frequently
> jumps when clicking.

I have not noted this either. Consider doing a clean install and see if
the problems persist? Btw, I bought mine with Ubuntu installed, and the
back has a Ubuntu seal (instead of Windows) on the underside of the
laptop. Of course, as noted earlier, Ubuntu installation crashed.

Ranjan

> --

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional
e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.