Do I need avahi?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 00:25:01 UTC 2013

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 23:41:14 +0200
lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> writes:
> > On 07/28/2013 08:03 AM, lee wrote:
> >> However, when I look at online dictionaries, they say that
> >> "disabled" refers to people the abilities of which are somehow
> >> limited, so that word won't be applicable here at all.  Services
> >> are not people, and it is a bad idea to use misleading terms like
> >> this.
> >
> > In English, words often have more than one meaning, depending on
> > context.  In a computer context, the word means that something has
> > been turned off and isn't available for use.
>
> That's exactly what I mean.  That something is _not_ turned off and
> still available for use _despite_ it has been disabled, then that is a
> bug.
>
> I'm not a native English speaker, that's why I referred to
> dictionaries.

The author of systemd (Lennart Poettering) is also not a native English
speaker. If you can convince him that your knowledge of English is
better than his own, he might even listen to your suggestions.

However, I doubt that the existing terminology would be changed, since
people got used to the current one by now, and I believe it would be
impossible to switch without a major confusion among a lot of people.

HTH, :-)
Marko