When booting F19 x64 Gnome often hangs...

Richard Vickery richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 03:18:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> wrote:
> Have you noticed that Fedora 19 also hangs if there are several windows and
> terminals open.
>
> I often have Nautilus, at least 2 terminals, geany and chrome and sometimes
> firefox open and intermittently everything except mouse stops.
> top still functions and is uninformative and there's nothing in
> /var/log/messages, system monitor shows nothing untoward, 60%memory, cpus
> running between 60 and 80%.
>
> Oh I'm using cinnamon not gnome3.
> I have to click on the X shut down button (top right corner) on each window
> and terminal till I find one that closes,  because the keyboard is also
> locked, close all and reopen again, all is normal for some time till it
> locks again.
> This is the first Fedora where I have experienced this problem.
> Roger

I tend to dismiss the hanging problem as my 8 year old computer, and
thought I was the only one with this problem. Now that another -
yourself - is also having these problems, it may be a bigger issue.
With a very distant memory of life under the control of Micros**t
Windows, putting more in to consume increasing amounts of RAM, I have
a slight, and perhaps wrong, view that perhaps we are getting better
and it is my old computer. However, you, as I, could run top and shut
down some memory-consuming programs.