mcelog.service

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 17 02:05:17 UTC 2013

Am 17.06.2013 03:44, schrieb lee:
> Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:
>> well, most people on Linux are using mdraid to avoid the useless
>> question about "compatible hardware RAID controller" because it
>> is pretty useless to have a RAID with a single-point-of-failure
>> in form the controller
>
> How do these people answer questions like how to connect 10+ SATA and/or
> SAS devices to their computers at the same time, how not to create a
> bottleneck with software raid and how to eliminate every possible single
> point of failure?

why should these people do this with local disks?

such things are done with SAN-storages with typically
*two* conrollers for failover, if you rely on *one*
single controller and nothing else can read your
RAID you should hire someone with knowledge

but what the hell has this to do with mcelog.service since
nobody but you is using 10 SAS disks local attached

hint: in such setups *you get* replacement controllers
and disks by SLA's with the manufacturer within hours

*you said* how can a different machine read my RAID
well, normally this question should be answered
*before* put any data on it

> Are you assuming that most ppl using Linux have fallback systems with
> independent internet connections and emergency power generators standing
> by that automatically take over seamlessly when something with their
> used system or around it fails?

pff you do not need independent internet connections and power
generators to plug software-raids to whatever computer because
you can plug them with any SATA-to-USB and mdraid will recognize
the array based on UUID's