F-18 display setting problem -

David dgboles at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 23:41:41 UTC 2013

On 3/1/2013 1:48 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

> In a new Fedora-18/64 bit install in a new computer I am unable to set
> the resolution above 1024x768 at 60HZ and would like to set it higher.
>
> I found the following:.
>
> [root at box10 ~]# ll /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
> total 4
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 root root 161 Feb 28 04:42 00-anaconda-keyboard.conf
>
> To which I attempted to add configuration data for this ViewSonic
> VX2035WM monitor, trying to increase the resolution to the
> manufacturer's spec.
>
> The following does not work. I got a black screen and had to bring up
> another terminal and remove the file in order to reboot. The truth is I
> don't really know what I'm doing, perhaps someone who understand this
> can point out what needs to be done?
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor-conf
>
>         Section "Monitor"
>              Identifier             "Monitor0"
>         EndSection
>
>         Section "Device"
>              Identifier             "Device0"
>              Driver                 "vesa" #Choose the driver used for
>         this monitor
>         EndSection
>
>         Section "Screen"
>              Identifier             "Screen0"  #Collapse Monitor and
>         Device section to Screen section
>              Device                 "Device0"
>              Monitor                "Monitor0"
>              DefaultDepth            16 #Choose the depth (16||24)
>              SubSection             "Display"
>                  Depth               16
>                  Modes              "1680x1050_60.00" #Choose the
> resolution
>              EndSubSection
>         EndSection
>
> Any suggestion appreciated.
>
> Bob

You could use  "system-config-display"  to do this. But Fedora dropped
it several releases ago.

And now is when you will get message after message chock full of helpful
'try this' suggestions that won't work and many 'what does some cryptic
CLI command say? Followed by more 'try this' suggestions that won't work
either.

Or?  You could use  "system-config-display" to do this. But as I said
Fedora dropped it several releases ago.

Or? You could try Mageia which will find a generic monitor that will
offer the correct resolution for you. And you can actually use their
configuration suite so that you might actually find the *exact* monitor,
by the name and the model and then find a series of *exact* resolution
settings for your exact monitor.

Or? You can stay here and deal with 'something that almost works'.
--

  David