System doesn't shut down properly under Fedora-18

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 6 20:56:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-06 at 09:44 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 03/06/2013 09:35 AM, Tom Horsley issued this missive:
> > On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 09:15:36 -0800
> > Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> >
> >>        * I click Shut Down, using KDE
> >
> > I've never been able to figure out what the heck
> > the different GUI versions of shutdown actually do, they
> > often seem broken for some reason. Try typing this
> > in a terminal instead:
> >
> > sudo shutdown -h now
> >
> > If that doesn't shutdown, then there is a real
> > shutdown problem, otherwise there is a KDE
> > problem.
>
> The shutdown app in the various desktops should perform clean logouts
> from the desktop first (e.g. save current layout, save current session,
> etc.), then actually run the shutdown command. The one I have in XFCE
> does the job fairly well.

I attempted to take both Rick Stevens' and Tom Horsley's advice as
follows:

     1. Log off my KDE session using the GUI.
     2. Open a console window using CTRL/ALT/F2
     3. Log in as root
     4. Enter shutdown -h now

Result, exactly the same as before.  System appears to halt properly
except for faint light around the start button, but can't be rebooted
without being reset, messages from systemd-fsck in boot.log.

Thanks - jon