System doesn't shut down properly under Fedora-18

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Mar 7 01:52:07 UTC 2013

On 03/06/2013 12:56 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan issued this missive:

> On Wed, 2013-03-06 at 09:44 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 03/06/2013 09:35 AM, Tom Horsley issued this missive:

>>> I've never been able to figure out what the heck
>>> the different GUI versions of shutdown actually do, they
>>> often seem broken for some reason. Try typing this
>>> in a terminal instead:
>>>
>>> sudo shutdown -h now
>>>
>>> If that doesn't shutdown, then there is a real
>>> shutdown problem, otherwise there is a KDE
>>> problem.
>>
>> The shutdown app in the various desktops should perform clean logouts
>> from the desktop first (e.g. save current layout, save current session,
>> etc.), then actually run the shutdown command. The one I have in XFCE
>> does the job fairly well.
>
> I attempted to take both Rick Stevens' and Tom Horsley's advice as
> follows:
>
>       1. Log off my KDE session using the GUI.
>       2. Open a console window using CTRL/ALT/F2
>       3. Log in as root
>       4. Enter shutdown -h now
>
> Result, exactly the same as before.  System appears to halt properly
> except for faint light around the start button, but can't be rebooted
> without being reset, messages from systemd-fsck in boot.log.

I'm wondering if perhaps that's something from the BIOS causing that...
like "wake on LAN" or something. You might want to reboot the machine
and verify that the BIOS permits going to a full powerdown state as
opposed to some hibernation state.