About that installer...

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 22:59:53 UTC 2013

On 03/12/2013 06:53 PM, Dan Irwin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I think you should say *exactly* what you did with fdisk, each step.
>> Because it still sounds like what you think is "creating free space,"
>> probably isn't the same as what we might have done.
> What i did exactly with fdisk was this:
>
> Switch to a vc
> Delete /dev/sda3
> Switch back to installer
> No difference in behaviour, reboot
> confirm no /dev/sda3 exists (fedora installer did not show /dev/sda3)
> would not auto partition the drive
>
> Afterwards, the following partitions existed:
> /dev/sda1 (Dell system) 30 MB or so
> /dev/sda2 (Dell recovery) 15 GB or so
>
> Thanks.
Only because you have data on there is why you're trying it this way? My
sister had a similar problem, but the solution was so left-of-center
that I just had to have her do it again on a spare machine JUST to see
it for myself. Basically all she did was:
Set the PC to get Fedora to boot from the CD-ROM drive
Installed a "standard" version of Windows 7 on it. (Which created the
MBR / NTFS files system etc
The after it had finished, she installed Fedora 18 on the same machine
(overwriting the Windows 7 of course!) and the machine formatted itself
perfectly

Don't know if there's something wonky with your HDD?...maybe you need to
have it "blown away" using something like System Rescue CD?...or
CloneZilla (I know..it says CLONE...but it's also got some disk
formatting tools on it as well that might be useful!)

Just suggestions....

Note* I misspoke before...it was Windows 8 not Windows 7 she used!

Cheers!

EGO II