Creating an rpm from scratch

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sat Mar 16 20:22:00 UTC 2013

On 03/16/2013 12:13 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Actually I'm spoiled using RPMcreator years ago, it just asked questions
> and did the rest.

You would need to fill in the same text-box fields in a a GUI app that
you would fill in a template spec file.  In both cases, you'll need to
supply the build commands.  In both cases, you'll have to run an app
(rpmbuild or RPMcreator) to build the package.  It literally isn't any
easier to use RPMcreator than it is to create a spec and build a
package, which is why there's not much interest in creating or
maintaining applications like that.

> But in this case, I'm dealing with people who didn't even have tar and
> make installed, and expect that if I donated the programming I should
> donate support, too. Oh, and they still remind me I haven't made a money
> donation this year.

Wherever you had the tools to run RPMcreator, you can use make and tar
to build and "package" the application.

I don't believe you can easily install a system with no "tar".  it's
required by redhat-lsb-core, and included in even "base" installs.