Problem with cron

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 10:12:26 UTC 2013

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 14:43:44 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:

> Somebody suggested adding something new to crontab and seeing if it
> works.  I tried it.  Alas, even though I have both EDITOR and VISUAL set
> in both .bashrc and .bash_profile, crontab -e insists on invoking vi, an
> editor that I despise, and refuse to learn.  (I prefer nano, and have
> that set as my default editor for EVERYTHING in a terminal.)  Does
> anybody know how to force crontab to do what I want, not what it's
> author wants?

Verify that $EDITOR is set actually. $EDITOR is evaluated here just fine.
And

  $ echo $EDITOR
  emacs
  $ EDITOR=nano crontab -e
  <Ctrl-X>
  crontab: no changes made to crontab

works for me as a test for using "nano". I use a custom $EDITOR for a very
long time, and crontab -e has accepted it happily for a very long time,
too.

Only somebody, who can reproduce your problems or who has seen the
problems before, may be able to help you.

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.0-0.rc3.git1.3.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.37 0.48 0.39