eth1 not working. HW or Fedora?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Mar 26 03:51:10 UTC 2013

Martín Marqués writes:

> I have a network interface on my laptop which was working (don't know
> when it stopped cause I mainly use WIFI) and now fails to connect. I
> have NM for network and when I plug the UTP cable (doesn't matter
> where I do this, it's always the same) I get this on
> /var/log/messages:

> Mar 25 15:41:57 xxx kernel: [   22.403016] forcedeth 0000:00:0a.0:
> eth1: no link during initialization

Some googling around suggests that you might have some luck by:

1) Plugging into a different port on your router, or
2) Trying a different cable.

Both ends of a CAT cable are not really "identical", and that's why most
routers have a single "upstream" or "uplink" ports, where some pins are
switcherooed. Adding to the confusion is that some CAT cables might be
crossover, rather than straight through. I also have the impression that
most hardware, at least GigE, might not really care, and autonegotiate who
is what, with its peer, when they connect to each other.

Try plugging the cable into your hub/router's "uplink" or "upstream" port,
if it's not connected to anything.