Read AIFF metadata

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Wed Mar 27 14:53:43 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-11 06:19, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> but after selecting the file, I couldn't see it in the soundconverter
>> main window.  I had nothing to convert!
>
> That's odd, but I cannot comment on it without a look at the output of
> "soundconverter -d" for the attempt at loading the file.

I can't load the aiff if I use the GUI exclusively.  But, if I pass the
file name in via the command line, it at least appears in the
soundconverter window. Here's the output as you requested:

SoundConverter 2.0.4
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)
   using Gstreamer version: 0.10.36
   using 2 thread(s)
   using gio
   "xingmux" gstreamer element not found, disabling Xing Header output.
   "lame" gstreamer element not found, disabling MP3 output.
   "faac" gstreamer element not found, disabling AAC output.
   "opusenc" gstreamer element not found, disabling Opus output.
Queue start: 1 tasks, 2 thread(s).
launching: 'giosrc
location="file:///home/ranbir/Downloads/3733448_The_Night_Out__A_Trak_vs__Martin_Rework__Original_Mix.aiff"
! typefind name=typefinder ! fakesink'
have_type: audio/x-aiff
3733448_The_Night_Out__A_Trak_vs__Martin_Rework__Original_Mix.aiff
found_type
3733448_The_Night_Out__A_Trak_vs__Martin_Rework__Original_Mix.aiff
Queue done in 0.040s (1 tasks)

> The following build manages to convert .aiff files (IFF data, AIFF
> audio) here:
>
> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/soundconverter/2.0.4/12.fc17/noarch/soundconverter-2.0.4-12.fc17.noarch.rpm
>
> If it still fails for you, I would need to see the terminal debug
> output.

I kinda forgot about this and didn't come back to it until now (I'm
about to buy some more AIFF tracks).

The link above doesn't work anymore.  But, I noticed I have a newer
version of soundconverter installed anyway -
soundconverter-2.0.4-23.fc17.noarch.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work
either.

When I click the "Convert" button, this gets printed to the console:

Queue start: 1 tasks, 2 thread(s).
launching: 'giosrc
location="file:///home/ranbir/Downloads/3733448_The_Night_Out__A_Trak_vs__Martin_Rework__Original_Mix.aiff"
name=src ! decodebin name=decoder ! audiorate ! audioconvert !
audioresample ! flacenc mid-side-stereo=true quality=8 ! giosink
location="file:///home/ranbir/Downloads/3733448_The_Night_Out__A_Trak_vs__Martin_Rework__Original_Mix.flac"'

However, no conversion actually takes place. The progress bar doesn't
move.  Also, the file size of the flac version doesn't increase (i.e.
stays at 0).  If I click cancel, the conversion stops and I'm taken back
to the soundconverter window.  If I click the pause button, I see this:

Error: <b>GStreamer Error:</b>
Could not open resource for writing.
<i>(3733448_The_Night_Out__A_Trak_vs__Martin_Rework__Original_Mix.aiff)</i>

And soundconverter itself reports the same thing (i.e. there's an error
dialog box).

Regards,

Ranbir

--