Monitor turns off on normal boot

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Wed May 1 13:57:09 UTC 2013

Anthony Papillion <anthony <at> papillion.me> writes:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm having trouble getting Fedora (or Ubuntu or Windows) to do a
> normal boot.
>
> When I try to boot Windows or Ubuntu in normal mode, it gets to a
> certain point then the monitor turns off and nothing more happens.
<SNIP>

Try the brightness adjust buttons on your laptop.  You didn't say what brand
of laptop you have but I used an HP laptop at my previous job that would set
the brightness of the laptop's display to essentially off when it booted.
Since there were no errors, there were no messages.  I forget how I finally
discovered I just needed to hit the "brighter" button a few times and the
display was there.

Cheers,
Dave