Monitor turns off on normal boot

Anthony Papillion anthony at papillion.me
Wed May 1 19:41:52 UTC 2013

On 05/01/2013 09:57 AM, David G. Miller wrote:
> Anthony Papillion<anthony<at>  papillion.me>  writes:
>

>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I'm having trouble getting Fedora (or Ubuntu or Windows) to do a
>> normal boot.
>>
>> When I try to boot Windows or Ubuntu in normal mode, it gets to a
>> certain point then the monitor turns off and nothing more happens.
> <SNIP>
>
> Try the brightness adjust buttons on your laptop.  You didn't say what brand
> of laptop you have but I used an HP laptop at my previous job that would set
> the brightness of the laptop's display to essentially off when it booted.
> Since there were no errors, there were no messages.  I forget how I finally
> discovered I just needed to hit the "brighter" button a few times and the
> display was there.

Hi Dave,

It's not the brightness settings, already checked that as I'd run into
something similar with a Debian install a few years ago. In my case, the
monitor is going into power saving mode. I'm back to Fedora 14 and I'm
having no problems there. But the minuite I upgrade to 17, it will go
back to kicking the monitor into PS mode on boot.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Anthony