Monitor turns off on normal boot

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Wed May 1 21:13:18 UTC 2013

Anthony Papillion <anthony <at> papillion.me> writes:

> On 05/01/2013 09:57 AM, David G. Miller wrote:
> > Anthony Papillion<anthony<at>  papillion.me>  writes:
> >

> >> Hello Everyone,
> >>
> >> I'm having trouble getting Fedora (or Ubuntu or Windows) to do a
> >> normal boot.
> >>
> >> When I try to boot Windows or Ubuntu in normal mode, it gets to a
> >> certain point then the monitor turns off and nothing more happens.
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > Try the brightness adjust buttons on your laptop.  You didn't say what brand
> > of laptop you have but I used an HP laptop at my previous job that would set
> > the brightness of the laptop's display to essentially off when it booted.
> > Since there were no errors, there were no messages.  I forget how I finally
> > discovered I just needed to hit the "brighter" button a few times and the
> > display was there.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> It's not the brightness settings, already checked that as I'd run into
> something similar with a Debian install a few years ago. In my case, the
> monitor is going into power saving mode. I'm back to Fedora 14 and I'm
> having no problems there. But the minuite I upgrade to 17, it will go
> back to kicking the monitor into PS mode on boot.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony
For some reason I was thinking laptop.  Probably because I had the problem
with mine.  A different suggestion: let the system come up (just wait a
while) and then request an alternate console with CTRL-ALT-F2 (or whatever
you favorite alternate console number is).  This should work around any
video mode issues for a graphic display since you get a text console.

If you get a text console then the issue is probably an incompatible video
mode when running in graphical mode.  If you don't get a text console then
your video card isn't being recognized.  I'm assuming you see normal POST
activity before the OS boots.

Cheers,
Dave