Extraordinary delay in accessing web-site

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu May 2 21:44:22 UTC 2013

Ed Greshko wrote:

> In doing some googling on your device, it seems others have encountered
> the same issue with some reporting success after altering the MTU.
>
> I suppose I would try changes there first.  Posts suggest trying 1400.

I had actually tried changing the MTU, with
	sudo ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1400 up
It didn't solve the problem,
but it did alter the packets I got according to wireshark.
In fact I would have thought it was working from wireshark,
but the image still doesn't appear.

> If possible, I would check the network devices at the remote end to see
> what they are set to.  Normally, the default is 1500.

Yes, both WiFi and ethernet have MTU set to 1500 on the remote server.

> Additionally, and this is a long time ago, I had similar network issues
> with a device and it was necessary to turn off tcp_window_scaling in the
> kernel.

Again, I had actually set
	net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0
in /etc/sysctl.conf (and re-booted the laptop).
I too had a problem a couple of years ago which I solved in this way.

I'm going to install wireshark on my local CentOS-6.4 server, if I can,
and see how the packets from the camera differ,
as it works perfectly on the server.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net