Fedora xfs can't open files

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Thu May 9 19:05:43 UTC 2013

On 09.05.2013, Shelby, James wrote:

> I did an upgrade to Fedora 16 and this did not work either.
> Apparently there is something new in the Fedora 17 xfs that now allows it to work.

I guess your problem has nothing to do with Fedora. I've never had
problems with XFS, neither on Fedora 14-18 nor Arch or whatever. If
you can access your files after booting from an external medium, there
are two thing I could think of:

1. Something selinux-related?
2. Kernel?

I have no selinux-experience and can't give you any advice here.
But how about running a fresh kernel?

1. Go to http://www.kernel.org and download latest stable/mainline
2. Copy the .configure from your /boot directory into your
kernel-tree.
3. make oldconfig
4. make
5. make modules_install
6. make install
7. reboot and chose your new kernel

Before you compile, take a look into .config. This is what I have
(but I'm not using the Fedora .config):

[htd at wildsau ~]$ cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep XFS
CONFIG_XFS_FS=m
CONFIG_XFS_QUOTA=y
CONFIG_XFS_POSIX_ACL=y
# CONFIG_XFS_RT is not set
# CONFIG_XFS_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_VXFS_FS is not set

[htd at wildsau ~]$ uname -a
Linux wildsau.fritha.org 3.8.12-rc1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 7 07:27:12 CEST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm mounting my XFS partitions with
"rw,discard,noatime,logbsize=256k,logbufs=8,inode64,nobarrier"

You can of course omit the "discard" if you're on a rotational drive.