no audio with HDMI

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Fri May 10 23:58:03 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Need help from the audio gurus.

f18, up to date.

Anybody using their HDMI out for a TV?

I've connected the HDMI output from a PC to an HDTV's HDMI port.  The TV
reports HDMI no audio.

On the PC, PulseAudio Volume Control->Output Devices shows:

   HDA ATI HDMI Digital Stereo (HDMI)
   Port: HDMI/Display Port

followed by check boxes for various codecs.  PCM is checked but
grayed-out/disabled (which is the one I think I need).

Below that the Front-Left/Right volume control indicators *do* respond
to the keyboard's volume keys and below that is a graphical sound
indicator that matches the expected output.  All of that shows that the
audio is making it into the system but is not making its way out.

A hunch says PCM issue, but I really haven't a clue.  It would be very
sweet to have this resolved.

Thanks,
Mike Wright