suggestions for linux laptop

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Wed May 15 04:13:46 UTC 2013

On 05/15/2013 12:05 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> I am looking for a new laptop running Fedora. A real workhorse but
> hopefully not very heavy. Any suggestions?
>
> Btw, what is the highest vertical resolution I can get? I used to have
> a Dell with 1200 some time ago, but can't seem to locate any now. Btw,
> does anyone know anything about the Samsung laptop with 1440 vertical
> resolution?
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/samsung-Series%209-WQHD-Ultrabook-matte-display/
>
> Is there any hope of this coming to the market? (I could not find it
> anywhere online.)
>
> Many thanks again for any and all suggestions!
> Ranjan

I'd look at the Thinkpad T430s with integrated graphics. You can get
1600x900 resolution and it's quite light. I had the T400s and everything
worked with linux. I've since opted for the W530 (I needed higher res
and more RAM) and it's been good, too. However, the W530 is very big and
heavy. If I didn't need the resolution and RAM, I'd have gotten the
T430s myself in a heartbeat.

The nvidia card is a pain, which is why I recommend integrated graphics
(it's flawless in Linux and the integrated is tied to the external
display, where the discreet models tie the nvidia to the external port,
which means you have to futz with the binary drivers to use an external
display). I always upgrade to the top-end wireless NIC and it works
perfectly with Fedora. Same with the Camera and bluetooth. The only
parts that don't work are the fingerprint reader (I've not played with
it, it might be workable) and the microphone mute button.

--
Digimer
access to education?