good bye -> Fwd: list-moderation -> Re: KDE without gnome-shell?

EGO.II-1 eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 18:39:03 UTC 2013

On 11/09/2013 08:23 AM, Bill Oliver wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Nov 2013, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 06:08:47PM -0500, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> No.  I can tolerate it just fine but I shouldn't have to.  If you
>>> can't be
>>> courteous to other users in this list,  you aren't following the list
>>> guidelines and moderators may choose to step in and at that point, your
>>> argument that it is all so very personal and subjective and hence we
>>> should
>>> all tolerate any abuse that is thrown out won't work.
>>
>> You've stated your position and I've stated mine. End of subject.
>>

> Actually, I think both of you are missing the point. I think you need
> to look at it from a consequentialist point of view.  It *doesn't
> matter* whether or not Mr. Sundaram is offended and it doesn't matter
> that you are not offended.  Both of you will continue to participate
> on the user list.  Since it doesn't affect your behavior in a
> meaningful way, it is of no consequence. That's not true for other
> kinds of users, and the moderators need to consider that.
>
> In most lists, there are a core of contributors who post relatively
> frequently. They are the ones who keep the list going, keep people
> interested, and provide many, if not most, of the answers,
> suggestions, topics, etc.  As long as these core people continue to
> provide these services, it doesn't matter if they piss *each other* off.
>
> However, there are two other constituencies -- the lurkers and the
> occasional users.  Lurkers read the list on a regular basis but rarely
> post.  Often they have a relatively decent level of knowledge and will
> provide help for a specific topic they feel confident about, but they
> won't engage in the everyday back and forth.
>
> Occasional users are those folk out there who don't care about the
> user's list per se, but are simply looking for a solution to a
> particular problem.  They come to the list asking a question and will
> likely stop reading once the quesion is answered.  Sometimes, if the
> list turns out to be interesting and fun to read for the short time
> they are monitoring it, they may turn into lurkers or even regular
> posters.  For instance, I came to this list with a specific question,
> but have stayed as a lurker and occasional -- but not particularly
> active -- poster.
>
> The important question, I propose as a conjecture, is that it doesn't
> matter whether someone irritates the core posters, since it won't
> change their behavior in any substantive way.  The question is whether
> or not certain responses *to the more casual readers* will drive them
> away.  Will it make the *lurkers* leave or make them less likely to
> provide an answer to a question that they feel confident enough to
> post about?  Will it make the casual user less likely to stay, or,
> worse, go somewhere else with questions?
>
> It is useful for any open list whose mandate is primarily oriented
> [...]

Interesting topic, What about the person who WAS once a devoted
person....but due to the responses he was getting....left....and after
trying a slew of other distros...couldn't find anything that compared to
this one?..so he came back, a bit subdued, and hoping his return goes
un-noticed.....what category would he fall into?....lurker?....core
user?...casual user?...(and I MAY be opening myself up to "attack" from
certain people here....but guess I'll just take my lumps and bear it! LoL!)

EGO II