dl-604 as a switch/hub

bruce badouglas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 18:54:43 UTC 2013

Greetings!

I know this isn't strictly a fedora issue! But I'm trying to setup (if
possible) an old dlink dl-604 4 port router as a dumb switch/hub.

Basically, all I want to be able to do is plug the device into my
network, and then plug 2-3 additional fedora boxes into the 4ports

I've disabled the dhcp settings on the box:
 -set the static ip of the box to be 192.168.5.200
 -set the gateway to be 192.168.5.254
 -set the dns to be 8.8.8.8 (google)
 -turned off every filter I could find
 -plug the computers/main eth into the lan ports only

the network for this system/test already uses dhcp on 192.168.5.x
the 1923.168.5.200 isn't used so using it for the box should be ok.

the issue I have, is that I can only see one of the boxes when I plug
both in, as if there's a conflict of some sort. Pluging one or the
otther works, so I know the boxes/eth cards are ok.

Thoughts/comments...

thanks!

============================
The basic setup would be:

dlink :dl-604
   eth: 192.168.5.200 <<<<<<+
                                           ^
                                           ^
dell-1                                   ^
   eth: 192.168.5.14  ----->>>  ^

dell-1                                   ^
   eth: 192.168.5.17 ---->>>    ^
                                            ^
                                            ^
                                            ^

I've seen a great deal of 'net articles that state this should be
easily doable. So I'm not sure of what the exact issue is.

Appreciate any pointers/comments..