dl-604 as a switch/hub

Kevin Martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 19:37:02 UTC 2013

On 10/09/13 13:54, bruce wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I know this isn't strictly a fedora issue! But I'm trying to setup (if
> possible) an old dlink dl-604 4 port router as a dumb switch/hub.
>
> Basically, all I want to be able to do is plug the device into my
> network, and then plug 2-3 additional fedora boxes into the 4ports
>
> I've disabled the dhcp settings on the box:
>  -set the static ip of the box to be 192.168.5.200
>  -set the gateway to be 192.168.5.254
>  -set the dns to be 8.8.8.8 (google)
>  -turned off every filter I could find
>  -plug the computers/main eth into the lan ports only
>
> the network for this system/test already uses dhcp on 192.168.5.x
> the 1923.168.5.200 isn't used so using it for the box should be ok.
>
> the issue I have, is that I can only see one of the boxes when I plug
> both in, as if there's a conflict of some sort. Pluging one or the
> otther works, so I know the boxes/eth cards are ok.
>
> Thoughts/comments...
>
> thanks!
>
> ============================
> The basic setup would be:
>
> dlink :dl-604
>    eth: 192.168.5.200 <<<<<<+
>                                            ^
>                                            ^
> dell-1                                   ^
>    eth: 192.168.5.14  ----->>>  ^
>
> dell-1                                   ^
>    eth: 192.168.5.17 ---->>>    ^
>                                             ^
>                                             ^
>                                             ^
>

> I've seen a great deal of 'net articles that state this should be
> easily doable. So I'm not sure of what the exact issue is.
>
> Appreciate any pointers/comments..

A few questions:

You've got the dl-604 plugged into the Internet in the WAN port, right, and taking an address from your DSL/Cable router?

You set the LAN address of the dl-604 to 192.168.5.200 with what netmask?

Why/where are you setting the gateway to be 192.168.5.254?  If your dell's are set to 192.168.5.14 and .17 (and the netmask is a /24
bit mask) then the gateway would have to be 192.168.5.200.

Kevin