Turning off SELINUX

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 03:37:52 UTC 2013

Hi

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Javier Perez   wrote:

> I know SELinux is not about encryption, it is about limiting access to the
> system AFTER a breach has ocurred. (That is my understanding AFAIK, and
> that is why I think it is a good idea).
> My beef is given the NSA origin of this software, It could very well have
> a backdoor to turn itself off under the appropriate circumstances like an
> NSA-sponsored breach an allow unrestricted access to my system..

NSA is a *huge* organization with multiple divisions

SELinux  can prevent breaches as well as mitigate the extend of any
breaches depending on the situation but more importantly,  it is fully free
and open source software and part of the upstream Linux kernel which has
been thoroughly reviewed and powered competing Govt agencies including both
US and Russian defense.

As a side note, running SELinux doesn't prevent say someone monitoring your
email or chat unless you are encrypting all of that and even then it might
be just a speed bump for NSA.   If you want to change what they do, engage
in the right political advocacy groups.

Rahul