LAN driver problem

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 10:07:39 UTC 2013

On 11 September 2013 15:29, Giovanni Ortosecco <giovanni.ortosecco at libero.it
> wrote:

> The problem I found is as follows: at work I use Fedora 10

Why are you using F10? This is well out of support and if it's just a case
that the hardware is too new for the kernel there is no assistance that
that can be provided.

> and as a controller LAN has, as you can see, the Atheros AR8151 chip
> (10/100/1000 Mbit).

It would seem likely that F10 back in 2009 did not support this.

> Unfortunately I am forced to not being able to upgrade the operating
> system to the new Fedora 19.

Why not? You are currently running an OS that is so far out of date it's
not even funny...

> I also tried to live to start both Fedora 19 and Ubuntu 13.04 and the LAN
> is working properly. So I think it is intended solely as a driver problem.

I thought you couldn't run F19 on your system? This would indeed indicate a
driver as opposed to hardware problem - the correct solution of course
would be to then upgrade. If you cannot run current Fedora for some reason
I woudl suggest trying your setup with a long term support distribution
such as CentOS 6 to ensure that you get security updates on a stable base.

James