GNOME Classic & Extensions

Xinyun Zhou me at xyzhou.com
Sat Sep 14 18:04:43 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-09-14 at 13:43 -0400, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 09/14/2013 01:31 PM, Xinyun Zhou wrote:

> I did install MATE (just to try it) and loved it (felt incredibly like
> home) but I don't want to live in the past forever :)  I want to give
> GNOME 3 a try, albeit with the Classic Mode (just as a transition),

Using MATE does not necessarily mean live in the past. Linux is so
flexible that you can install MATE but run a lot of latest cool staff.
Personally, I use Arch Linux instead Fedora on my laptop, which allows
me to do more customisation. I've tried many desktops like MATE, KDE,
Xfce, Cinnamon and many others. Finally I decide to use Gnome in normal
mode, which is buggy sometimes but generally beautiful and fine. I would
suggest you either stick with MATE, because you can save a lot of time
to deal with the tools, but actually use the tool to create real value,
or use Gnome in a mode and learn to think in the new Gnome 3 way. There
is no better choice here, whatever desktop can get your work done
efficiently will be the good desktop for you.

> there's plenty of new stuff to deal with.   Who knows, maybe in the
> future the default will be a hybrid between GNOME Shell & Classic...

Again, Linux is just a combination of packages, choose whatever can get
your task finished and what make you feel good and comfortable. There
are too many things to be done these days, so don't waste your time deal
with things that you don't have to deal with. There are lots of people
still using Win XP, and there is nothing wrong about that as well (not
recommend after MS ends support), and many people are contributing to
the world just by using this 12-year-old system.

--
Regards,

Xinyun ZHOU

__Simplicity is the peak of civilisation.__