Status of fstrim & MD-RAID

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 19:56:28 UTC 2013

On 09/15/2013 03:26 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> Do you have any objections against the use of "discard"?
> Just asking..

Not really although using fstrim at specific times thru a cron job seems
to be a better choice based on what I've read.  Here's an interesting
read[1] (check point #3).   Regardless, both of them would send the TRIM
command to the underlying block device.  The question still remains:
Does the mdraid subsystem relays this command to the actual SSD?

What I've found so far is that some patches were submitted upstream
(mdraid) for this but don't know if it made to Fedora 19.

--
Jorge

[1]:
http://blog.neutrino.es/2013/howto-properly-activate-trim-for-your-ssd-on-linux-fstrim-lvm-and-dmcrypt/