Cinnamon desktop display issue

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 20 17:35:03 UTC 2013

I've installed the Cinnamon desktop environment from the repos on my F19
machine.

However, I'm experiencing some issues related to the display.

First, some of the menu entries are not visible when I mouse over them.
They're there (they can be selected), but are 'invisible' (like a blank
entry) in the menu.  It's primarily those menu entries that require
scrolling down to see.

Second, after a while, the entire desktop will become 'disjointed' in
that the screen is jagged and nothing can be selected, even if you click
where it should be.

I suspect this is due to either a bug with the Cinnamon F19 packages or
it could be my video driver.  I'm using Nouveau vs. the nVidia driver
for my card:

NVIDIA Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GS]

I attempted to install the Nvidia drivers following the instructions
here[1] but my machine would hang at boot and not start X until I
removed the nvidia package and reverted to Nouveau.

Any ideas appreciated.

[1]  http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

Thanks.

Trey