FC18 - Libreoffice keeps crashing

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 22:51:53 UTC 2013

On 29.09.2013 18:26, Paul Erickson wrote:

> I use the proprietary drivers because they work better with my dual monitors
> than the generic.
>
> I have tried creating a new user, and the same problem persists.

You should check whether the LO's option - "Graphic output/Use HW
acceleration" has any effect in this particular case.
I assume you know, proprietary SW ain't supported on Fedora.
Besides the kernel module is only the part of the story, so it's
recommended to upgrade to the latest Fedora version.
Meanwhile you can test whether the problem is related only to the
particular kernel video module.

You can try the following:

- Backup the Xorg configs:
# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-backup
# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d-backup

- Download & install rawhide kernel - test w/ radeon(.ko)
  http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/rawhide-kernel-nodebug/x86_64/
# rpm -ivh kernel-3.12.0-0.rc2.git3.2.fc21.x86_64.rpm

- Reboot to rawhide kernel

- Check the LO start up

- Reboot to previous kernel

- Restore the Xorg configs:
# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf-backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d-backup/ /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

What are the results regarding the LO start up?

If none of this helps what I most recommend, try to contact the
radeon devs and help them iron the bugs.
This is the only true way.
Good luck.

poma

On this links you can find all possible information related to the AMD's
video modules:
- radeon
http://www.x.org/wiki/radeon/

- fglrx*