Five Things in Fedora This Week (2014-04-01)

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 14:47:59 UTC 2014

On 2 April 2014 15:05, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/02/2014 09:42 AM, Ian Malone wrote:

>> I know you weren't reply to me, but this is really the point I
>> wanted to make: to take advantage of Wayland it makes absolute
>> sense that applications will need to use a new API. But breaking
>> WMs, toolkits and applications (whether they use toolkits or X
>> directly doesn't much matter if they don't work) and saying it's
>> their fault for not updating isn't really a goer, a compatibility
>> layer is a must. If the
>
> I don't think anyone has ever said that, except the baseless
> accusations made in this very thread :)
>
> As I said, XWayland exists for this very purpose. It's not perfect,
> but neither is the rest of Wayland, yet. This need is not being
> ignored by anyone.

Thanks. When I read, "there is an effort to provide a compatibility
layer", my usual interpretation is it's only loosely related to the
project in question, rather than a core concern.

I originally missed this line in Rahul's email:
> Other apps can use the compatibility layer called XWayland."

But did read his reply to Lee:
>> Hm, not really useful when it doesn`t work with existing WMs ...
> That would be the responsibility of the WM's themselves.

Which might have been better reiterating the point about the
compatibility layer.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk